First, the good:
- The apartment nice, clean, and spacious.
- The bathroom is clean, has a full shower, and nice fixtures.
- The kitchen has a full-sized oven, four-burner stove, and plenty of cabinets.
- The bedroom is large, has it's own radiator, and has a wooden floor.
- The building looks really high-class on the inside and looks well-maintained.
- I have a cellar the size of a basketball court. Unfortunately, there's no electricity, so I can't turn it into a second bedroom.
- The surrounding neighborhood has an eclectic (for Switzerland) mix of people and places. Just down the street from my house, there is a Chinese, an Indian, and a Middle-eastern bodega. There is also an Indian restaurant, a Vietnamese restaurant (Linda Vista represent!), a Middle-eastern restaurant, and two pizza places.
- There are two barber shops in my building and at least 4 on the block. I live in the absolute epicenter of stylish, low-cost hair-cutting. How ironic.
- I am within walking distance of a huge supermarket (which is only open during "normal" business hours) and a couple of smaller places that are open as late as 10pm.
- I am only a 6 minute walk from the metro stop, thus making my total commute time 18 minutes.
- I am around the corner from the "Colonia Liberia Italia," an Italian community center. If I ever get the urge to play cards with Italian pensioners, I don't have to go far.
- I am only a 5 minute walk from the Collection de l'Art Brut, i.e. the single-greatest art gallery in the known world. Everyone I know loves this place. If you are even remotely thinking about coming out to Lausanne to visit, let me say: You need to come to this city just to see this gallery. It will BLOW YOUR MIND.
- The apartment is on the Rez-de-chaussée, i.e. the ground floor. Fortunately, it is somewhat elevated from the street so there is at least some semblance of privacy.
- A significant portion of my total floor space consists of a long, fairly useless hallway.
- There are no closets.
- There is not a single drawer in the kitchen.
- There is not a square inch of actual storage space in the apartment.
- There are 27 units in the building, and there is exactly one washing machine in the basement for everyone to use.
There is no dryer. Just a bunch of laundry lines and a space heater. I haven't gone through the calculation myself, but I would estimate that this system is so obscenely inefficient that a new dryer would pay for itself in energy savings within a few months. Further, given that they must be pulling in around $25k a month in rent, you think they could swing the one-time cost of a dryer. Really, what aggravates me about this is that I have lived in this building for 24 hours and I am ready to go fight (metaphorically) with the concierge, the management, the ownership, or whoever it takes in order to get a frigging dryer in this building, and I want it immediately. On the other hand, there are 26 other people who have lived here much, much longer but are of such weak moral fiber that they probably haven't even voiced a complaint. Pathetic.
People who've known me a long time know I have a certain fondness for quixotic quests such as this (e.g. open lunch in high school, math forum at Mudd, recycling at Sharon Crest, etc.) so I assure you that there will be future updates on the situation.
Time for some pics!
I hope that you have enjoyed this brief tour of my new place, I'm sorry if there isn't a whole lot to show. Once I get some furniture and whatnot, I'll probably take some more photos, just to whet your appetite to come visit. And, of course, I'll make sure to take a picture of the new dryer as soon as we get it.
7 comments:
I saw the little plant in your pictures! Is it the basil you saved from the supermarket before? And it shows in almost every picture of your apartment. Do you really have that many, or you just move it around for taking environmental-friendly looking pictures? Hope the little plant is doing well too!
As Li said, wonderful placement of basil. Accents the otherwise white 3 walls that make up a corner with a refreshing splash of green and brown. BTW, I think a dryer is considered a luxury item in many parts of the world (europe, uk, japan at least). As far as I know, americans are the only ones that don't dry their laundry naturally.
A dryer is considered a luxury item by people living in third-world countries and in the 2nd millennium. Yeah, if you have a small house with no room (a la Japan or UK), I understand. But this is a huge apartment building with an enormous basement. There is plenty of space. The current system is far more inefficient (from a cost point of view), as well. Thus, this isn't something like big refrigerators or dishwashers -- definitely considered to be inefficient luxuries here. This is just an issue of inertia and stupidity, my two mortal enemies.
It took me 27 years but I finally figured out why Europeans don't use clothes dryers. I'm Paul's Aunt Donna, I lived in Italy from 1981 to 1984. My Italian friends and recent live-in exchange students tell me that the prevailing wisdom in Europe is that clothes dryers destroy your clothes. As it was explained my my Venetian friend Piero, it's the clothing equivalent of dry rot (in wood).
Aunt Donna -
I understand the point, I guess, but it seems to me like that attitude is hardly applicable anymore. Nowadays, it looks like most Europeans have the same "throwaway" clothes as Americans (there are 3 H&M's in downtown Lausanne. 3!), so whatever they may think about the evils of clothes dryers, I don't think they really have a leg to stand on. I will destroy their ridiculous arguments with my unfailing tenacity.
Paul,
Yep, all their clothes are made in China just like ours! Maybe it gives grandmas something to do all day between their afternoon "umbra"!
They did have a single 20 year old dryer in my German dorm - it fit roughly one pair of jeans, if you really crammed them in there. The similarly-sized washer was always in use, but everyone preferred to hang their clothes in a closed basement, in a warm city at the confluence of two rather large rivers. I can't imagine anything really got dry down there.
Post a Comment